Thursday, September 1, 2016

New hair!


So, I finally got to the point where I was tired of growing my hair out and looking so damn normal! I finally got to liking my curly/wavy hair, btw, which allowed me to go natural for longer than usual. But I couldn't do it anymore. It isn't me. Before picture:
not sure why i've got brown eyes in this picture. 

I colored exactly half of my hair blond. I used a blue bleach with 20 volume clear developer first, with the below result (in braids). It is a big mistake to use 40 volume developer with bleach--you're damaging your hair and it really isn't giving you more lift than a 20.

It's actually pretty passable...not that bleach orange or yellow you normally see.
I also thinned out my eyebrows
Next I used Ion Brilliance lightest ash blond 10.1 with 40 vol creme developer. (NOW you bust out the 40 volume). When I used to be a hairdresser, I used to have access to top-of-the-line chemicals, but now I have to go to Sally's like a regular jackoff. I'd written about Ion here . It was pretty decent for the pastels, so I thought I'd try the regular color. It was a clear liquid instead of a paste, which I found really weird. And the color wasn't really very opaque. Like, I don't think it colored it ash blond at all. In the post I linked to, I mentioned that the gray pastel would be better off as an ash toner, which is what I actually ended up doing to lose some of the warmth. I'm going to do that again to get an even cooler-toned blond. I'm not very happy with how warm it still looks. 

To "debut" the new hairstyle at the office, I wore this vintage dress I got from Shareen Vintage. Sometimes the best way to hide a loud hairstyle at the office is with a loud dress.

10 comments:

  1. It looks very cool! I've considered doing half half colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool^^ I'm so tired of my natural hair color too, but I'm still looking for the perfect dark blue hairdye that lasts a little longer, than 1 or 2 weeks...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I used to color my hair all different colors, Jerome Russell was the best dye that lasted forever... You couldn't even bleach it out. I don't even know if they make it anymore

      Delete
  3. Love your new hair and the dress! I was always curious to know if the weight of your head feels different with one side bleached, but maybe it's my crazy imagination XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no, but it does feel different because one side is damaged and one side isn't

      Delete
  4. The new hair is lovely, and I totally dig your instructions on how to hide a loud hairstyle! :D

    ReplyDelete